Ferry Building Barista & Cafe Associate
Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco's Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients--cocoa beans and cane sugar--and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment the beans we buy. Our Ferry Building Marketplace kiosk sees thousands of visitors each month and is one of the first small-batch bean-to-bar hot chocolate stands in San Francisco. We're looking for experienced baristas to help make it the best it can be.
ABOUT THE JOB
With the flood of visitors from in and out of town who stop by our kiosk each day, you'll spend a lot of time talking to customers about our mission, story, and chocolate. You'll be leading tours, making coffee and chocolate drinks, restocking, and responding to visitors' questions in thoughtful detail. As a barista, you'll train with Four Barrel, and spend a day with our production team to learn the ins and outs of chocolate making. After that, you'll be ready to dive in and get your hands dirty. We're looking for a full-time team member with the flexibility to work weekend opening and closing shifts. Compensation is $14/hour plus ample and obligatory chocolate tasting opportunities.
Our ideal candidate is outgoing, organized, and enjoys interacting with the diverse local and global customers that stop by the kiosk. You take pride in perfecting your barista skills and noticing the slightest flavor change of recently pulled shots. You design a simple and easy workflow in order to multitask and prioritize things like making the most delicious House Mocha, explaining the history of bean-to-bar chocolate, tidying the cafe space, and restocking the shelves. You love to share knowledge and brainstorm new ways to creatively engage guests and build outstanding relationships with the community. You are constantly scheming ways to expand our social media presence and improve customers' experience of our kiosk. To satisfy your own curiosity and build your bank of chocolate making knowledge, you attend our Chocolate 101 and 201 classes, and adapt to the flow of the Ferry Building with ease. As a reliable member of our close-knit Ferry Building team you help us continue to develop Dandelion Chocolate's presence in that space. Previous specialty coffee, craft food, or retail experience is a plus.
- A passion for chocolate!
- Create espresso and hot chocolate drinks every day quickly and accurately.
- Consistently identify ways to improve operating procedures and customer experience
- Twice a week, lead a food tour to share our story with excited chocolate enthusiasts
- Be timely, dress professionally, and be ready to work through your shift
- Inspire guests to know more about chocolate! You should be able to develop a quick rapport with customers by detailing our chocolate making process and why you relate to it.
- Complete our Chocolate 101 and Chocolate 201 classes, as well as other Dandelion Chocolate curriculum.
- Anticipate the needs of your coworkers by coming to work ready to perform for peak business hours.
- Some experience making espresso drinks is a plus
- Availability weekends, early morning, and some evenings.
- Familiarity with a fast-paced work environment
- 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment
- California approved Food Handler's Certification is required upon hire
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
You'll stand out from the crowd and show your keen attention to detail if you respond with your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience. We look forward to hearing from you!