Construction: Generalist / Welder / Laborer
Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Now we are looking for individuals to be part of the core building team at our new factory location, 298 Alabama Street, and to make our vision for the space into a reality.
About the Job
You will help turn 18,000 square feet into an operating chocolate factory over the span of 6 months. This Monday - Friday role has an 8:30 - 5:30 schedule which includes an hour lunch break. You will be working in a team of about ten individuals with a collection of expertise in welding, plumbing, electrical, and necessary labor skills. This will be under the guidance of the Construction Manager who has built out three other chocolate factories and has a background in high end construction specializing in food production facilities.
Our ideal candidate takes pride in their work and is interested in seeing a space evolve from a bare-boned brick building to a chocolate production factory that will have a constant flow of visitors. You easily integrate yourself into the team and appreciate working in a collaborative environment. Your team knows they can depend on you and appreciates every status update and safety practice you make.
- Experience in plumbing and electrical skills. General mechanical skills.
- Able to follow instructions to a key and communicate across the team
- Wall construction and hanging plywood. Experience applying plywood sheathing over metal framing is a plus
- Experience in small scale fabrication of building components such as windows and doors
- Love of the craft - you really enjoy what you are doing because there is going to be a lot of it
- Pride in visually beautiful welds- much of your work will be visible to the future visitors of the factory
- Experience in MIG welding (arc welding) and the use of Plasma Cutting equipment
- Desire to learn - you will have exposure to a whole bunch of different trades being carried out in the course of the project
- Drywall or sheetrock experience is a plus
- Previous construction site experience is great - not necessary
- Communicate with all team members and participate in status update meetings
- When you need help, or a team member asks for help, you are able to enlist and provide assistance to help the hit the end goal
- Perform tasks as requested
- Report to the Construction Manager and Admin Assistant
- Available Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:30pm for the following ~6 months
- Safety - you care a lot about safety and put in the extra effort to make safe work conditions
- Keen attention to detail. You adhere to quality standards even when it’s not convenient
- Strong communication skills. Fewer mistakes happen when everyone has all the information they need to do a job well
- Team player. You are motivated by the success of the team and enjoy the support of those around you.
- Ask questions and comply with company policies. We work with sharp and heavy tools every day and our team members depend upon each other to maintain strict safety standards.
- Skills necessary to follow and carry out instructions
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs. Ability to safely perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, and walking throughout shift.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Comfortable with conversational spoken and written English
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, life, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. We offer paid vacation and sick team to our employees as well. Our team members also enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate and pastry tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
You will stand out from the crowd if your resume is accompanied with a few sentences about your favorite project to work on or your favorite food experience. We look forward to hearing from you!